I made this dish in two different ways, one with prawns and one vegetarian with tofu (it also goes well with chicken). My favorite is the tofu variation but as my boyfriend isn’t a fan of “that stuff” I usually cook an alternative for him.
For 4 people
500g noodles (I used rice noodles)
200ml soy sauce
1 hand full of bean sprouts
50g oyster mushrooms
1 bunch of spring onions
1 red chili
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoon of honey
2 tablespoon of sesame oil
1 small piece of ginger
For the crust
4 tablespoon of desiccated coconut
4 tablespoon of sesame
4 tablespoon of wheat
2 egg yolk
1. For the marinade mix 150ml soy sauce, 2 tablespoon honey, sesame oil, chili, ginger and garlic cloves ( all chopped finely) together in a bowl. Peel the prawns, and cut tofu in bite sized cubes. Put each in a plastic box or small plastic bag (I use freezer bags) and cover each with a half of the marinate. The prawns and tofu have to marinate 4-6 hours in the fridge.
2. 10 minutes before the end of the marinating time start to prepare the veggies. Chop zucchini and carrots in half, then slice them finely; Chop spring onions in fine rings and cut the oyster mushrooms in bite sized pieces; put all the veggies aside.
3. After 4-6 hours prawns and tofu are ready for the coco-sesame crust (Save the marinade for later!). You need 3 soup plates (or other deep plates); One with the 2 egg yolks, one with flour and the last with coconut and sesame. First prawns/tofu need a flour layer, turn them around until fully covered. Second station is the yolk, turn around until covered; afterwards toss in the coco-sesame mix with a little bit pressure to make the crust compact.
4. Heat up a pan with olive or sesame oil and roast tofu cubes and prawns 2 minutes on each side until golden brown; remove them from the pan on a deep plate. Purr in one half of the saved marinade and let it reduce for about 5 minutes, then cover tofu and prawns with the sauce. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil for the noodles.
5. Heat up a big pan or wok and add the carrots; roast them for 3 minutes before adding zucchini and mushrooms. Roast for another 2 minutes, then pour in the rest of the marinade and let it simmer until the noodles are done. In the last minute add the bean sprouts and spring onions rings, before mixing noodles and veggie sauce in the pan. Arrange them on plates and decorate with prawns or tofu cubes. Enjoy!